Monday, October 31, 2011

Good bye Curly






Let’s be real! The kids are in bed, door shut, lights out. Now it is my time. My time to relax. My time to get ready to bed. My time to snuggle with my husband. Time to climb in bed and laugh because my dog is going to get on my husbands pillow and look at him with his sad puppy eyes. Every night this is what happens. He lies on my husband’s pillow and teases him. Then my husband comes to bed and we all giggle because the dog is on his pillow AGAIN.
Only tonight something is missing. Something small and white and cuddly. Something my daughter lives for. My dog is no longer here. Last night was my last night snuggling with my dog. I knew he was not acting right. His breathing was weird, he would not lay down and sleep and he kept coming to my face. He rarely gets in my face. I knew he was not feeling well. I never dreamed he was so sick.
This morning I took him to the vet as soon as the doors opened. The vet said he was very anemic and gave me a plan. He said the plan was to give him a blood transfusion and IV meds and he thought that would help. He said I could take him home in the next couple of days with meds to continue for the next 6-8 weeks. I paid my $555 and said good bye to my sick puppy. I called back a couple of hours later and they said he was holding his own. I assumed that things would go according to plans. He had not been sick long, he is only ten years old and I am not ready to tell my kids he is not coming home. A couple of hours later the Vet called and said he needed oxygen at $45 a hour. I agreed because how do you say no. How do you tell your kids you did not do everything you could? Then I called my hero and said it was time to have the talk. You know where you decide how much you are willing to spend, how much you are willing to do for this dog. He called the Vet to get a better idea of what was going on. She was honest and said he was not doing well and she could not guarantee he would get better at this point and if he did it would not be the same happy go lucky dog. He then called me and we made the decision we were not ready to make. He instantly called the Vet back to tell her we would not be doing much more. As he was talking to her Curly passed away. Okay, that was easier, we did not have to make the decision it was made for us. He was at peace.
End of story, right? No, I called back to make final plans and she said Curly was alive, yes you read that right, he was alive. She said when she hung up with my husband he started moving again. She said please understand his oxygen is really low and I do not think anything has changed. I told her we were done, that it is not fair to him. She told me we had made the right decision and she would put him to sleep.
My hero came home early and we told the kids. Then I took Hope to pick him up. Curly was her dog. She dresses him almost daily and plays with him. We brought him home and buried him in the back yard.
Today was a hard day for our family and honestly I hate it. So now I am avoiding going to bed because I know there will not be something there to keep my feet warm or to get between my husband and I.
My husband and kids have been on line looking at dogs all night. I am not ready for another dog. I do not think they realize how much work they are. If you have a child friendly dog I would love to hear about them. What kind, what breed, what do you love and not like?

Pamela

5 comments:

Bree said...

Pam!  I'm so sorry for your family's loss.  We too have a fabulous dog.  His name is Reuben.  He is an 8 and 1/2 year old yellow labrador.  He was my "baby" before the babies.  He was what helped keep me sane when my new (VERY new!) husband jumped into Iraq for that first wave of this long war.  I D-R-E-A-D the day when we will be faced with this same decision...  We have 3 kiddos now who "ADORE" their "Ruby" (Reubs, Reuben...)  He's probably one of the best dogs we will ever have...  I'll pray for you & your family tonight as I go to bed...  HUGS!

Cheryl said...

No words...tears. Hugs.

Kristy Stevens said...

Goodbye Sweet Curly. I think people grieve for a pet in different ways. I spent $100's of dollars trying to save my cockatiel. I bought her a new cage, more food, toys, vitamins, a nest etc... I was trying to nurse her back to health and I kept getting turned away by vets. I had her for 8 years. I really wanted another cockatiel right away. I can't explain why but her spot was empty and it was freaking me out. I didn't want to replace Lily. I wanted to hear that noise in the corning of the dining area. I wanted to not look up and my eyes do a double take because her big cage was missing from in front of the window. Now all that sits there is a freaked out cat who wonders where his friend (or meal) went? I didn't get another cockatiel because I haven't fallen in love yet but I WILL get another cockatiel or perhaps a set of Parakeets. Because I love them. God brought too our lives a new cat though so that has helped ease the pain. I didn't go in search for the kitty she is a stray that came to us. I think its human nature to have a void from a lost pet and wanting to occupy it by something else that cuddles and gives you doggy licks when your wounds sting a bit much. I still miss having a dog even though I have a house full of cats. There is something a dog brings to a house that makes it different. 
If you want me to recommend a breed I would say a pound puppy. A Lab mix, a husky (they are sweet), Border Collie or a smaller breed like a poodle. You have to consider because you will be in the military life for an additional number of years that they have to be accepted in other countries and on post. So Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Chows, & German Shepherds are out. I have nothing against these breeds its quite the opposite but because of their Lock Jaw ability they are banned from all major posts and overseas. 
I am sorry for your loss again and I believe Curly is out at Rainbow Bridge waiting for you and Hope!

MrsBushey said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. Curly looks like he was very loved and had a great life with your family.

Katrina said...

I'm so sorry :(
Losing a beloved family pet is never easy.  I don't blame you for not wanting to get another one, at least not right away.  Dogs can be a lot of work, but they are always worth it.  (sort of the same thing with kids, right? Ha!)
We have a Toy Fox Terrier.  "Milo" is a great dog, good with our kids.  He's only 4 years old so my guess that if his health keeps up he will be with us for quite a while.  He just had dental work done, though.  This is my first time having a littler breed dog and I had no idea their teeth needed upkeep!  So poor Milo had to be sedated to have the plaque scraped off his back teeth, and he had five of his front teeth pulled!  I've always had Rottweilers and Golden Retrievers and Labs - big dogs- and have never had to deal with their teeth.  Oh well.  Live and learn.  That was a $380 lesson.  Ouch!  (ouch for Milo and for our bank account!)

Post a Comment

 
Content Troppetrie | Design Poppiness Designs