Tuesday, February 15, 2011

True Story Tuesday


Could things have gone wrong in any other way? This weekend my best friend came to visit. Okay that seems very normal and nothing to write about. Well did I tell you she is a very conservative Mennonite? It was a wonderful weekend full of funny things. Like my girls wanting to only wear homemade clothes to look like her. One my daughters apologizing for us not cleaning up before she came. One daughter asking if she had seen anyone use a horse and buggy in “her world”. All weekend I heard my girls ask her questions about “her world”. But I think the funniest thing was Sunday morning. She went to church with us. First my husband pulled out his cell phone and started playing Farmville , he said it was okay because church had not started yet. He has never done this before and will probably never do this again. Then two female soldiers walked in. She said she knew that there were female soldiers but seeing them makes it real. So church starts and we sing and the pastor starts preaching. Then his cell phone rings. He was really preaching when it rang. Then he answered it and said it was his wife reminding him to remind the men about Valentine’s Day. I was in awe and I know she was. Later in the service he explained how things distract us. It was a total planned thing. At the end of the service another pastor prayed. It went something like this: dear heavenly father thank you for this day, thank you letting us learn about submitting to the holy spirit…..please remind us that we should submit to the holy spirit just as “husbands should submit to their wives”…..
I turned to her and said WAIT he did not mean that, he said it backwards. It was too funny. If any of these things had happened on their own it would not have been a big deal but the fact that it all happened in an hour was comical. I will have to wait and tell you how the man at the airport tried to convince her to give him a tip (for carrying her bags) by saying something like you know you help me and I will help you. When she said she did not know what he was talking about he said, well what you would do for your waiter at a restraint.
It was an amazing weekend and I cannot wait to tell you more.

8 comments:

Emily said...

Oh my goodness!!! That's hillarious. All the interesting things seem to happen at the worst time. That's funny about the pastor though!

Adoption of Jane said...

LOL!!! I can't stop chuckling at the Farmville in Church!
I love your family pic at the top of your Blog!! Too Cute!

Rachel said...

HA HA HA HA HA! It really must make us seem like the unusual ones sometimes?

And I'll have to run the "husbands submit to your wives" thing by my guy - I'm not sure he'll be thrilled about it! hee hee

Thanks for linking up - your friend has a great sense of humor!

Robin said...

How funny! Your friend probably laughing as she tells her own version of the weekend in the "big city"...

Beth Zimmerman said...

Our pastor has ADD and there are times when it makes his sermons HYSTERICAL! And others when we're all going "huh?"

I had a number of Mennonite friends when I was younger. Lost touch when I left the east coast. Sometimes I "envy" the simplicity of that more conservative lifestyle!

CM said...

Ha! That is too funny. I wonder what your friend thought of all that???

La. said...

Ok wow, doesn't it seem to work that way!

Hazel Nut said...

Haha! That is funny, especially since all of it happened so closely together, lol.

Post a Comment

 
Content Troppetrie | Design Poppiness Designs