Thursday, January 19, 2012

Make a joyful noise

Psalms 100
1 Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.2Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.3Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.4Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.5 For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.

Do you ever long for a talent you do not have? I have always wanted to be able to sing. I love to sing. I sing all the time. Except when other people are around. I have this memory of my dear friend asking me not to stand next to her in choir as a child because my singing was so bad.
I have heard myself sing and let me tell you it is not a pretty noise. I complain that I cannot sing and do not understand why I cannot sing. Not only can I not sing but I cannot remember the words to any song. So I often sing like this: twinkle twinkle, little star lalalalalalala. Because, I cannot remember the words. Drives my hero batty.
I think about my inability to sing all the time. I worry when I am at church that I am annoying people because I know I not only cannot sing but I also mess up the words.
Tonight the reality hit me. I may not be able to sing in a voice that you enjoy hearing but I have six precious blessings who do not mind. Today a precious child fell and bonked his head. As I rocked him and sang to him I watched him relax and when I stopped singing he looked at me in a way I knew meant he wanted me to continue singing. So from now on I will stop complaining about my horrible voice and be grateful that God gave me a voice just for me. A voice that brings comfort to my children. A voice my hero longs to hear when he is not home. Sometimes we are given the gifts we do not want and just do not realize it.
As for me, right now I hear a tiny voice screaming from the back room. It is screaming “mommy” because he needs a hug and kiss before he can sleep. Now that is a voice I love hearing.
Pamela

2 comments:

RecceWife said...

I always wished I could sing too.  But you are right, we can sing to those who need to hear it :)

Paperblessings said...

When you sing to your loved ones and from your heart, it's all good!  And I'm sure God loves to hear your honest heartfelt songs over keeping it to yourself!

Post a Comment

 
Content Troppetrie | Design Poppiness Designs